Saturday, January 5, 2013

Drawing - Landscape

The drawing I'm featuring today was done way back in 1984.I can see much of what attracts me to landscape today in this drawing. At the time I was really into detail. A habit that persisted for quite a few years.

Winter Oak by M Francis McCarthy

It was rare for me to do landscape art at the time. I was really more into drawing people. I think I had a snapshot I'd taken that I used as reference for this.

This scene was rendered in pencil. One of my favorite mediums. Many artists love pencil because of it's subtle  forgiving nature. Unlike a pen or brush pencils leave a faint trace yet can also produce strong black darks. 

It's good to use both and many pen drawings start out in pencil. I advise students to jump in to ink along with their pencil work. The definiteness of an ink line is difficult to erase and for that reason has it's own type of integrity. 

I feel it is good as an artist to be able to commit and move on. I've known a few that never really got past pencil because of their fear of "messing it up". Better to try and fail than never attempt your best inner vision.


No comments:

Post a Comment