Friday, January 4, 2013

Learn to Draw

I read that today. Learn to draw and create beauty even if no one cares. The quote is from a guy named Sal Bass. I still need to learn who he is and what he did. Regardless the quote stands on it's own as the best art advice I've heard and I aim to teach it to any of my students from here on out.

Three Dudes by M Francis McCarthy

Just one image today. This is a drawing I did back in 1985. It's purpose I think was to impress some girl. Not sure whether I gave it to her or not now, almost thirty years in the future. At the time I was proud of this drawing for the looseness and caricature of the characters.

I've a lot of respect for cartoonists. I don't consider myself one at all though. I've dabbled in "cartoon illustration" though and I'd file this image under that heading.

I can recall inking this with a triple zero rapidograph. Rapidographs gave you a constant, consistent ink line. The triple zero was the thinnest that was practical to use. I used rapidographs a lot. The challenge was to get "character" in a non varied line. Usually I'd attempt to vary the line by speeding up or slowing down the ink stroke.

I worked hard at being an inker for years and I will be posting lots more on inking and using ink medias like the pen, brush and even sticks or computers.

No comments:

Post a Comment