Saturday, February 2, 2013

Landscape Painting - Subjects

I was out driving about Northland New Zealand yesterday. Pretty easy to do as that's where I live and work. New Zealand is full of great trees and rural scenery. Lots of scenes that are paintable out here.

Twilight Meadow by M Francis McCarthy

Driving about with my wife I saw many great scenes and I like to stop and take photos of the ones that I think would make good motifs for paintings.

One thing I appreciate more and more is realizing that my intuition will always lead me to a great scene and also tells me that a scene just won't work. 

I can easily extrapolate my intuitions guidance if I need to. Its not magic. It's built out of observation, experience and gut feeling all together. The more you paint the more you should know what it is that works for you as an artist.


First New Zealand Studio

We've talked in the past about subject matter. 

An amateur artist should draw and paint absolutely everything that interests them while learning their craft. Conversely in the fine art world it's best for an artist to paint one type of subject. 

There are many obvious exceptions to this rule but in my many years in the art business I've noticed that the artists that painted one type of subject matter in one style did better than those who floated about.

The reason for this is that galleries and the art market in general need a way to market an artist. If your doing florals  figures, cityscapes, landscapes and seascapes in 10 different styles. It's going to be hard to carve any groove into to consciousness of the art market.

I choose landscape painting as my specialty because I felt that I could convey the types of feelings and evoke the kinds of emotions with my art that I find desirable. Also, I find landscape painting infinitely challenging and I'm prepared to do it till I die or am unable to lift my brush.

If you're a student, explore, explore, explore. But think about what I've said and about what type of subject matter resonates most with you. At some point in your artistic journey you will find the right thing to explore more fully.

Cheers...

No comments:

Post a Comment